Inauguration Day Prayer Guide
In the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom and also put it in writing: Ezra 1:1
- God, we trust you are sovereign over all the earth — over kings and men and women.
- God we confess that all the best and all the worst happenings in the world are underneath your wise and good plan.
1 On that night the king could not sleep. And he gave orders to bring the book of memorable deeds, the chronicles, and they were read before the king. Esther 6:1-3
- We pray for our governing officials, trusting that you are sovereign over their sleep and their conscience. We pray for you to wake up the governing officials in our land to be disturbed for all your good purposes.
The Spirit and the Bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price. - Revelation 22:17
- We pray for the ministry of the Spirit to be fruitful to bring many to Christ.
8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; 10concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; 11 concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged. John 16:8-11
- We pray for a great repentance at the leading and conviction of the Spirit.
- Help us to listen to the Spirit of God, to obey conviction and repent of sin.
- We pray for your Spirit to work in our nation to lead to repentance of sin.
- We pray for belief to increase as the Spirit opens the eyes of the blind.
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. - Colossians 1:15-17
- God, we recognize the place of Christ among all the authority on the earth. All seats of authority were created by, through and for Christ.
- We rest in the centrality of Christ over all earthly authority.
- We thank you for Christ's life, death, and resurrection. We pray for many to believe and trust in Him.
11 Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. 12 His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. 13 He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. 14 And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. 15 From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.
- God we recognize that Jesus is eternally King of all kings. We recognize his power forever.
- We wait and rest in the righteous judgment of the righteous king.
 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,  for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.  This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior,  who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.  For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,  who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time. (ESV) 1 Timothy 2:1-6
- God we pray for President Biden and Vice President Harris. We pray that their administration, our congress, and the courts will do that which most honors you and leads a peaceful and quiet life.
- We pray that all our nations governing officials will be awakened to praise what is good and punish that which is evil. (Rom 13)
6 So when they had come together, they asked him, "Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” 7 He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth." - Acts 1:6-8
- God helps us to remain focused on our chief purpose. Help us not to be distracted by governments from our purpose of being a witness to all nations.
- Empower us by the Spirit to live and speak as witnesses to an unbelieving generation.
36 For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised. 37 For, "Yet a little while, and the coming one will come and will not delay; 38 but my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him." 39 But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.
- Help us to endure whatever your providence gives us to endure.
- Help us not to shrink back and instead have faith in God.
8 But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed. 11 Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, 12 waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! 13 But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. - 2 Peter 3:8-13
- Help us to live in holiness as we wait for the new earth and new heavens where righteousness dwells.
- Help us prize the display of your nature and character over and above our own reputations and comfort.
- We long for the eternal state where righteousness dwells completely.
- Convict us as we interact online, at home, and at our workplaces so that we remain a holy people for your name.
- Help us to be patient for the accomplishment of all your purposes in your time.
Photo by Srikanta H. U, unsplash.com sri-design.com
More in Milwood Blog
September 9, 2021In A Church’s Prayer Meeting
September 9, 2021Far Too Easily Pleased: Getting Our Hearts Crucified to the World
August 7, 2021Race and the Weariness of More and More Books